This session with artist and writer Tea Gerbeza will teach participants about accessibility and social media and the benefits of making your social media presence as accessible as possible. Tea will cover some main digital accessibility points and provide an overview of accessibility tools that exist on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and Twitter and how to use them. Participants will be invited to do some in-workshop exercises to get familiar with access tools and practices like writing image descriptions and alt-text. The goal of this session is for participants to leave with an understanding of accessibility and social media and why these tools are important to use going forward.
Some topics that will be covered in the session
- What accessibility tools are available on various platforms and how to use them
- How to make your content accessible to everyone
- Main digital accessibility points (e.g. descriptions/IDs, alt text, image contrast, captions on videos, self-descriptions in videos)
- What are the differences in accessibility features over different platforms (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter)
- Are there things you should keep in mind for accessibility when collecting content (e.g. taking photos or videos)
- Understand the benefit of being accessible on social media
This class will be taught by poet, writer, and multimedia artist:
Register to attend this class in person here: https://creativecitycentre.wufoo.com/forms/mkovrg41k6ih5l/
This class will also be broadcast over Zoom for those who are unable to attend in person.
Register to attend this class online here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwpd-GvqzwpHtMXTOQsxflJtoafhIfdoUGR