Creative City Centre in partnership with Artesian on 13th present Regina Word Up at The Artesian!
Regina Word Up Poetry Slam featuring Andre Prefontaine
Date: Wednesday October 11, 2023
Time: 7:00-9:00 pm (SK time), doors open at 6:30 pm
Location: The Artesian, 2627 13th Ave, Regina, SK
Price: Recommended donation of $5 or pay what you can. (Cash)
*Free if you perform!
* Sign up in advance here, or sign up at the door.
* First come, first served.
The Artesian is a fully licensed, all-ages, and wheel-chair accessible facility located in the heart of Regina’s Cathedral Neighbourhood.
CREATIVE CITY CENTRE PRESENTS REGINA WORD UP AT THE ARTESIAN!
The pandemic encouraged the Creative City Centre to pivot and transform the Hague Gallery, the beloved home of open mics and poetry slams for close to a decade, into a production studio when safe in-person performances weren’t possible. The CCC now produces exciting digital content and professional development — check it out at https://creativecitycentre.ca/.
We are thrilled to partner with The Artesian to use this beautiful community space as a backdrop for poetry once again.
We encourage audience members to engage during the performances – snap, make cheesecake noises (mm’s and yes), laugh, stomp, or otherwise make your appreciation known!
Andre Prefontaine: At the age of 33 Andre Prefontaine has never contributed to an RRSP, maintains ten-years of sobriety, has been reading tarot cards and astrology placements for 18 years, and learned to talk to ghosts after realizing the pieces of him that have died needed some company. He’s a seven-time national Slam champion, represented Canada at the World Cup of Poetry Slam in Paris, France, wrote and performed a one-man show called “(m)Edith Piaf”, and currently spends his days collaging smut onto vintage China and calls it “Dirty Dishes”. His humor has remained dark and dry, his wit has stayed sharp, and his heart still tender wherever the callouses have fail to reach.
GUIDELINES, COMMUNITY AGREEMENTS AND CONSENT STATEMENTS
At the Creative City Centre we always strive for inclusivity and respect in the community both inside and out of our facility, which is why we have compiled the following guidelines to remember both for our events and also in everyday life.
• We encourage respecting the way folks self-identify, without assuming gender, sexuality, orientation, religion, or ability.
• We understand that at times folks may need to leave or engage in other methods of self-care, and that’s okay.
• We encourage language that promotes inclusivity, education, and awareness and dislike all forms of explicit ignorance including, but not limited to, hate speech, racism, homophobia, transphobia, and classism.
• We encourage the culture of consent meaning we respect people’s physical, verbal, and emotional boundaries. This means respecting that some people might not want to be hugged and if you want to engage physically in any way with a person it is important to ask permission before doing so.
Regina Word Up is a program of the Creative City Centre. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage, SK Arts, City of Regina, and the Canada Council for the Arts that make programs like this one possible. We are grateful to The Artesian, who are facility partners for these events.